Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
170 - 6371 Crescent Road
Canada V6T 1Z2
Geological Sciences (MSc) - Master of Science in Geological Sciences
||Faculty of Science
|Field of Study:
||Geology/Earth Science, General
||The Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences at UBC, one of the largest geoscience groups in Canada is composed of over 40 full-time faculty, a staff complement of 30, a total of 40 research associates and postdoctoral fellows. Our Department's research extends from pure science studies of the earth's deep interior, through near-surface geological studies and environmental earth science, to the oceans and atmosphere. UBC earth scientists draw on a broad base of knowledge from the basic sciences of chemistry, physics, biology and mathematics.
UBC and the Province of British Columbia offer exceptional opportunity for combined field and laboratory research. The Canadian Cordillera offers research opportunities in:
- petrology of intrusive and volcanic rocks of many kinds, and of metamorphic rocks of all grades
- structural studies of complex metamorphic terrains exposed in three dimensions
- metalliferous deposits of varied genetic types
- mineral exploration methods; mineralogy associated with many different environments
- complexly folded and faulted successions of bedded rocks in the mountain belts and plateaus, and in virtually undisturbed coal- and gas-bearing strata of the north-eastern province
- numerous problems of engineering, environmental geology-related to water, slope stability, natural geological hazards, and hydrogeology (lakes, fjords, deltas, tidal flats, continental shelf, and oceanic depths provide a wide range of aquatic environments for students interested in sedimentology, geochemistry, biostratigraphy, and geological oceanography)
Numerous research units in the Department of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences maintain excellent provisions for research and study in a wide range of geological sciences.
||Geological Sciences (MSc) - Master of Science in Geological Sciences at The University of British Columbia - Vancouver - Faculty of Graduate Studies
|Grade for Entrance Previous Year (%):
|Additional Admission Requirements:
- Letter(s) of Reference
- Statement of Research Interests
* We make every attempt to provide accurate information on prerequisites, programs, and tuition. However, this information is subject to change without notice and we highly recommend that you contact the school to confirm important information before applying.
Last Updated: September 25, 2017