Dental education was instituted at the University of Alberta in 1917 in the School of Dentistry under the Faculty of Medicine. The first full degree program was offered in 1923 and the first class graduated in 1927. The School became the Faculty of Dentistry in 1944.
Areas of Expertise
Dental auxiliary training was instituted in 1961. In 1962, the School of Dental Hygiene came into being. A program of graduate studies was formally approved in 1962. Finally in 1996, the Faculty of Dentistry was merged with the Faculty of Medicine to become the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
The Faculty prides itself in its high quality clinical care, research, and teaching.